Friday, July 21, 2006

Honeymoon with My Brother - Franz Wisner

I already wanted to travel before I read this book - but now I REALLY want to travel. I already have times when I want to quit my job and find a way to live without one, but this book made me REALLY want to throw it all away. Of course, I don't have a $77K bonus to fund my travels or a house I can make $250K selling... so I guess I will have to continue dreaming.

This book reminded me of my friend Melodie - she actually did this. Took a year off and visited the world - ok, not sure about South America... Of course, when she came back to work, the work travel was too much - she just wanted to stay home.

The style of writing reminded me of the e-mail messages she would broadcast to friends - that she still broadcasts on her blog. The kind of writing that makes you feel like you need to pack a small bag and go see the world. The kind of writing that makes even the scary times (robbed or held at knife point) seem like humorous stories to tell at a party later.

I'll pass this one on the friends and see if it comes back. If it does, I'll keep it. I don't know if I can have this kind of inspiration in my house all the time.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I heard about this book and promptly forgot about it. I'll have to pick it up ASAP. Though, maybe I should wait until after Alaska and Turkey. I might not come back.

Mel said...

HEY!! I just discovered your blog from a tiny link on Pete's... wasn't sure if it was you until I saw my name! Had to read that twice. Thanks for the honorable mention (-:

Yes, being home is the BEST... my favorite place in the world.

Melodie