Friday, September 01, 2006

The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl

Another one of those books sitting on my shelf staring at me, begging to be read. The cover did nothing for me, and the name - well, let's just say, this was definitely passed on to me by someone else. I have taken it off the shelf before, but never cracked it open. The opening is a foreword saying that this story needs to be investigated - reminding me of the opening of other books - the Holmes books by Laurie King, Bridges of Madison County (yes, I read that...). It was not a promising start. The book was a little slow to get going - impressive since it starts with a murder. The beginning of the book has two separate story lines and the back and forth nature of the chapters takes a little getting used to. As the story lines converge, the book gets better.

I enjoyed the story - it is always interesting to have literary figures investigating a murder. I just don't picture poets dashing about the countryside trying to solve crime. But I supposed the mid-1800s was a different time.

I won't be keeping this in the library, but I would read other books by this author. And, I will be passing this one on the others to read.

No comments: