Monday, December 25, 2006

Take the Canolli - Sarah Vowell

This book accompanied me to my Aunt Marcella's funeral, as well. I heard her on NPR a few years ago and she was cracking me up, so I looked up some of her books. People had left good reviews, so I ordered Take the Canolli. Then it sat on my shelf while other books caught my attention. Needing something light for the trip, I packed it along.

One morning, I found myself hanging out in Starbucks, waiting for my Aunt Joyce to wake up for our morning walk on the beach. Seated between some professors and a sleeping student, I listened to dance music and found myself laughing out loud. I didn't even mind the stares. The beginning of this book was laugh out loud funny. I found myself talking it up to complete strangers (as well as my family). As the book progressed, it turned to more grin and amusement from its laugh out loud origins. I look forward to reading more books by Ms. Vowell.

This will be staying in the library (and for that matter, I sent it as a Christmas gift). We are reading Assassination Vacation for book club in January, I can't wait.

No comments: