Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Great Fire - Shirley Hazzard

The Great Fire reminded me of a period film - light and fluffy love story with soaring vistas and precise language. Emotional undercurrents everywhere, but nothing explicit.

It was a book that carried me along, but required me to pay a little bit of attention. Things weren't always obvious if just scanning the pages. Unfortunately, it also lacked for a sense of urgency until near the end. I was able to put it down for several days without feeling the need to pick it up.

It was an enjoyable read, with several possible topics to discuss - 17 vs. 34 in dating/marriage, peacetime impacts on soldiers used to war, friendship, affairs, parental attachment. It could really be a great book club book. And bonus for those with discriminating tastes - it won a National Book Award.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm the opposite of kafaleni! As you know, Lisa, I love award-winning books. That just moved it up a couple of notches in the queue. The evergrowing queue.

Sarah said...

It's been WAY too long since I checked your blog. Guess I've been too busy checking out that sweet little son of yours on Higgy's blog.

So I'm going to comment on an old post. "Go Dog Go" is my favorite book, too. P. D. Eastman rocks!