Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Hours - Michael Cunningham

After a nice easy read, I thought I would pick up one that I had heard mixed reviews of. Some hated it, others loved it, and some were indifferent. I have to say I am in the Loved It category. It was like reading 3 short stories at the same time - the closest I could come to the way I watch 2 or 3 TV programs at a time. The short story aspect came from each character getting the story of one day in their life.

But the reason I loved it was that for the first time in years, I found myself wanting to underline passages.

"She could live on; she could perform that final kindness." - As if, she would be giving up her last chance for suicide.

"The green silence." - A much better way to picture death - all leafy green and fresh, and really not that silent.

"She herself is trapped here forever, posing as wife."

"Like his father, what he wants most ardently is more of what he's already got... Like his father he senses that more of this is precisely what they may very well not get."

This one will stay in the library, I would like to read it a few more times. Maybe next time, I'll keep a pencil nearby...

Update 5/30: Passed it on instead.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow. I've thought about picking it up but wasn't sure. I saw the movie. I thought I'd like the book. I'll definitely have to get it now!