Sunday, March 12, 2006

Dr Seuss's ABC, A Wocket in my Pocket and Toot & Puddle

I always remembered Dr. Seuss fondly. So fondly that I even attributed my favorite book, Go Dog Go to him (really, P.D. Eastman). I have enjoyed reading them to my son - even if he just likes to look at the bright colors and hear my voice. The best part of these books is that after you have read them a few times you can make up your own if you need to find something to babble. It's easy to come up with made up words that rhyme with whatever you happen to see - "Is that a Trib in the crib? Or a Planket on your blanket?" Or words that start with the different letters - "Big B, little b, what begins with b? bawling baby, b, B, b..." Of course, when he gets older, he'll tell me I'm saying it wrong or I missed a word, but it works for now.

Another favorite of mine is Toot & Puddle by Holly Hobbie - it's a Pig Tale. One pig stays home and the other pig travels the world from Feb - Nov. This one is great because it only have a few words, with lots of explanatory pictures. For instance, one page just says - Presenting Puddle at Pocket Pond. But the pictures show an ice skating Puddle pig - spinning and jumping. It becomes one of those books that can be short or long depending on attention span - usually mine.

2 comments:

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

I asked him not to mention my blog or provide a link to it. Some other blog reading thing added my link to his. I don't feel I can live up to his example - just not funny enough.

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

of course you are welcome! blogrolling has me added to his, so i'm sure vmore will find me eventually...