Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bastard out of Carolina - Dorothy Allison

I have been meaning to read Bastard out of Carolina since I read the reviews of the movie. This is the kind of thing I can't take on screen, but can read about. In the end, I really shouldn't have even read it. While extremely well written with great characters, it is keeping me awake. Knowing that girls really do grow up with this kind of life and that mothers really let it happen to their girls just bothers me. At least Bone has a loving extended family, but it doesn't seem enough.

It's one of those things I think about more now. People always say they worry more about their girls, because they want to keep them safe from the evil that men do. I worry about raising a boy who ends up doing the evil. It seems somehow easier to keep your daughter safe, than to keep your son from doing terrible things. Or maybe I just feel that way becuase I have a son?

This won't be staying in the library - and I don't know if I can bring myself to pass it on. It'll go in the bottom of the box while I try to keep the images out of my head.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I just read it a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed finishing the book more than reading it. Heart wrenching.