Sunday, March 19, 2006

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

The UC Davis Aggies book club picked A Walk in the Woods as the March selection, so I re-read it quickly prior to the meeting. I don't remember hating it or loving it the first time around. But this time, the only lingering thought I had was that he must have had a lot of time or a lot of researchers working for him. I enjoyed the sections on history, ecology, and the park service. I found those sections more engrossing than the ones detailing the hike. Of course, his research sections were written with a definitely point of view (global warming, park service neglect, and globalization are going to ruin the trail).

One of the women at the meeting pointed out that all of the women he mentions in the book get made fun off or seem almost cartoonish. Personally, I thought that he treated everyone that way. I think he only mentioned a few people without insulting them or exaggerating their habits.

Overall, not a terrible book, but reading it twice was one too many times.

Next month, they are reading Moby Dick. I think I'll pass.

2 comments:

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

I have tried and failed to complete Moby Dick 3 times. I may consider the Cliffs Notes...

Kristin said...

I seem to recall that my high school English teacher told us to avoid Moby Dick at all costs. Either that or start at chapter 40. Not a fan of whales, I guess.