Thursday, March 15, 2007

Salt: A World History - Mark Kurlansky

This sounded so good - a book about how Salt was used around the world and how it impacted history. This is one of the few books I am giving up on 100 pages or so in. I found the information interesting, but the narrative was very choppy. I have enjoyed non-fiction more lately, so I was surprised by my negative reaction to the book. It felt more like a text book - in 1500 the Venetian government did XXX or in 600 BC the Chinese did XXX. I didn't see the story line - the thread that tied it all together.

I was supposed to read it for book group tonight, but I just don't think it is worth the effort. If the other folks loved it, maybe I'll give it another go. Otherwise, into the donate pile (I might even send it off to the desert).

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That's a shame. I also thought it sounded interesting.