Monday, March 31, 2008

The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri

I don't know where to start in reviewing this book. As I was reading it, there were several paragraphs that described perfectly how I have felt at different stages in my life. Other parts were wholly unfamiliar. I enjoyed the introspective nature of the main character, but didn't feel a good connection with many of the supporting cast. There were passages that made me ache and other ones that didn't touch me at all. Overall, it has me thinking and that is a good thing.

I would recommend this book, but I am still not sure whether it will be going on the permanent shelves. I already lent it out.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I think I felt disconnected at points and wholly overwhelmed at others. I enjoyed seeing the movie after reading the book, though, which is odd for me. It augmented the story.