Monday, February 02, 2009

Iodine - Haven Kimmel

This was just a strange book, a puzzling book. I still enjoyed the style, but I had to really pay attention to follow along. It follows a girl who is coming close to graduating from college when she becomes involved with a professor - that is the easy part. But the rest of the story is the flashback to how she got there; her relationship with her family and her past. It is these flashbacks and remembrances that are the bulk of the book - and where the confusion comes in. Trace/Ianthe, the main character, is trying to reinvent herself but her past keeps coming back in. It makes it painful to read, painful to think about living like she does.

It is the kind of book that I am still thinking about a few weeks later. But it is not a book I am likely to read again.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You have definitely put Haven Kimmel on my short list, even with a painful story.

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

I even got my book club to add The Used World to this year's list of books :)