Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sword of Truth, cont.

After a day spent catching up on TiVO, I am still in the midst of book 9. But I think I failed to convey the communism of the series accurately in the previous post. It would be what communism would be if it were mixed with religion. My understanding of the communist countries was that they tried to outlaw religion as well. In the books, the belief is that all the suffering to make things equal for all in this life will earn reward in the next life. Similar to most of the organized religions of today, but with the twist that you don't strive to live to the best of your ability in this life, your duty is to aid all those in need around you. You are expected to do all you can for those who have less than you, even if it is a detriment to you.

The ways this belief manifests itself through the novels makes it more a religious crusade. Those who speak against this ideal are then dealt with as an enemy of the state.

Also, after speaking with Higgy on this, these books aren't a waste of time. They have made me think a little about the doctrines of both sides in the struggle. But, I doubt I will again choose to read them. Even though I read the first books in this series several years ago, I was able to remember most of the salient points. So, I would not get as much enjoyment out of them the next time through.

No comments: