Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sword of Truth novels, Terry Goodkind

I am trying to get rid of some of what I have in my library, so have been rereading things to determine if they are worth keeping. In this vein, I have been re-reading and finishing the Sword of Truth series - I had started with Wizard's First Rule years ago -and kept up for the first 3 books, then I went on to read other things. Later I went back and read book 4 and I bought book 5, but I don't really remember reading it. So, I started back at the beginning and purchased the remainder of the 9 book series. I just started book 9, Chainfire.

I have enjoyed reading them - but they do get a little preachy. It is about the evils of communism - which considering it was started in the 80s is probably the original idea. By book 9, you are really getting hit over the head with how the idea that everyone should be equal and be able to prosper is really something that will suck the life out of everyone. There are new ideas to learn in each book - one rule for each book. For instance, in book 8 - the rule is Deserve Victory - the idea that you need to live your life such that you deserve the good things that come your way (usually as a result of your own hard work).

The fact that there many female characters is encouraging, but of course of the 4 main characters, Richard, Kahlan, Zedd and Jagang, only one is a woman. Many of the 2nd tier of characters are female, so I guess that is an improvement. Unfortunately, rape is a constant throughout the novels. Very few of the female characters have been able to avoid it during the 8 books I have read so far, a lovely implement of torture. That is one of the problems I have with the series.

Another problem I have with the series is that I doubt that the books could stand on their own. Book 7, Pillars of Creation, would be highly confusing for anyone not familiar with the series. The book is a break from the rest of the series in that it is from the perspective of the side of "evil." Unfortunately, at the end, when the character realizes she is indeed on the wrong side in this struggle, I don't think there was enough justification for her decision. Yes, she had seen the brutality of the Imperial Order, but would it have been enough for her to see that the D'Haran side was just - or would it have been a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils? Having read the rest of the series, I felt that it relied too heavily on the reader being familiar with the Imperial Order and D'Haran Empire.

So, for now, I don't think these books will be remaining in my library for another reading - but maybe book 9 will redeem them all.

No comments: