Monday, June 25, 2007

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

Mom recommended this one - she read it for her book group and they're discussing it tonight. I had to return it. Rather than return it unread, I started reading it Saturday night. I didn't realize I would be finishing it the same night.

I enjoyed this book - the flipping between Jacob in the nursing home and Jacob in the circus. It was interesting to look at life during the Depression from the eyes of the circus - the desperation to find work and the fear of losing the work they got. But in the end, it was really a love story - man/woman, friends, and man/animal.

I'd pass this on to others and I could see reading it again - so many things to think about. But since I borrowed it, it won't be going on the shelf.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad to hear (read) that you enjoyed it. I picked it for book club!

Tanya Kleinman said...

I was hoping this would get picked for book club. I hope to get to it soon.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tanya Kleinman said...

I was hoping this would get picked for book club. I hope to get to it soon.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tanya