Friday, June 01, 2007

Fool's Errand - Robin Hobb

In my ongoing book binge, I picked up a book I thought would get me reading back in October. Guess I was wrong. But on the other hand, I did read it in 2 days - keeping me on my average of 4 books a month - not bad considering I didn't start reading until the 22nd. (The first 3 I blogged in May I actually read in April... making April look an abysmal 0 - since the one post was about not reading for a week.)

Anyway, Fool's Errand is the first in the Tawny Man series which is a continuation of the characters from The Farseer Trilogy. I loved the first series, they are one of the few fantasy series to make it through the latest purge. They are fun and still make you think - about what makes you YOU and how the reactions of people around you influence that (or don't). I didn't even realize that Fool's Errand was going to be the same characters, so I was pleasantly surprised to get caught up on what had happened with them in the period since the last series. It was almost 200 pages of set up - rehashing the last 10 years of life away from the castle. It was like seeing an old friend and hearing all the news.

Then the characters went off on adventure, sucking me in and getting me to the end of the book just before midnight. I think I'll be picking up the rest of the series soon. Although, I do still have the great book backlog to get through.

I'll be making a home for it on the shelf.

No comments: