Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bed rest - slowing down (2 books / 3 magazines)

The Waterborn - J. Gregory Keyes - a fantasy book that I was given years ago - just the first book in the series. While I enjoyed the book - it has action, religion, politics, etc. - I just don't feel compelled to go and get the next book in the series. I'm not sure if it is my mood or whether it just wasn't that good. Or maybe for a change, it actually wrapped up nicely enough without the cliff hanger that a series book usually ends on?

Mercy - Julie Garwood - This one fell between Heartbreaker and Killjoy - oops, I read it out of order. Some recurring characters, but like the Mariah Stewart series the recurring characters are more tangential. If you have read the other books, they give context to the characters without needing to have read the previous books.

Cooking Light - What a depressing read. In addition to bedrest, I am following a low sodium diet. So, I was looking forward to the new issue of Cooking Light - ready to find something flavorful I could eat. There' s only so much pasta with zero sodium sauce a girl can eat. Turns out, when they take out the fat, they increase sodium or something. I had a hard time finding a main dish and a side dish that would keep the meal below 900 mg of sodium - keep in mind that the RDA for sodium is 2300 or less! Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out on my own. One article did make me smile - D.C. was named the 3rd most fit city in their 20 city list. It was fun to see pictures of places I recognized.

O, The Oprah Magazine - a fun read - some good articles and some interesting reviews. But nothing that I would want to buy for a change - ok, maybe there were some nice dishes... I do like this magazine - some books, some movies, some interesting articles, some self help and some shopping tips. A nice mix.

Parents - short articles - some fun, some informative. One of Owen's favorite toys has been recalled - but only on ones sold after he got his - woohoo! And I found out I'm supposed to keep chopping his grapes in half until he's 4 (????!!!!). He's been eating whole grapes for months. And - all kinds of other things - most of which make me think I am just not a vigilant parent -but that's ok.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

We're fit? Really?! Interesting juxtaposition with recent reports of horribly obese kids in the DC area.

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

Actually, I think it is more about the amenities for keeping fit - good transit, parks, walkability, etc. rather than the actual healthy habits of the residents.