Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz

Everyone knows I enjoy Koontz, but between this one and the last one, I don't know if I can say that as strongly. When Koontz is good, I love it. But two less than stellar books in a row and I am starting to question my decision to go out of my way to buy them the day they come out.

"he delivers a heart-gripping tour de force he’s been waiting years to write, at once a love story, a thrilling adventure, and a masterwork of suspense that redefines the boundaries of primal fear—and of enduring devotion." HA HA HA! That's some good promotional writing. The love story is underwhelming and the adventure and suspense were hardly worth mentioning. I was never in doubt about the outcome and the villains were very one dimensional. The return of a dog as a main character was contrived and unbelievable. I am having a terrible time coming up with a redeeming feature... There was one paragraph I thought was worth reading again, and when I did, I am not sure what I was thinking. Normally, I have several quotable sections - ideas that just seem to make more sense when phrased that way.

Yes, I read the book in one night like usual, but I was never at the edge of my seat and I didn't have to stay up past my bedtime. Without any other thing to do, yes, I finished it. But it wouldn't have been hard to put down. What a disappointment.

No comments: