Friday, January 12, 2007

East is East - T.C. Boyle

This was a hand me down from a friend and I knew nothing about it other than its "literary fiction" size trade paperback. I am reading Peace to End all Peace and needed something lighthearted to break up the intelligence failures detailed in that book. With Melodie's comment that she was unable to finish, I was actually hoping to reach page 100 and put it in the outgoing pile.

With low expectations, I started the book just before bed a few days ago. I flew through the pages, while never feeling any connection to the characters. When I picked it up, I appreciated the different view points, the descriptions of what each character was doing from that character's point of view. But, when I saw it lying around the house I had to remind myself what it was about - it wasn't a story that stayed with me. When I picked it up again, I would have to remember who the characters were - the names just didn't stick. While I would say I enjoyed the book, I also realize how easy it would have been not to finish it.

It will get passed on, but I am not sure whether it will be to a used book store or to friends.

Update 5/30: Used book store.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I bought it but handed it on to my stepmom before reading it. I wasn't sure if I should try to get it back.