Monday, July 16, 2007

Last Lessons of Summer - Margaret Maron

I was reading a review for a Marcia Muller book "Vanishing Point" to determine if I had read it before. It was the American Librarian Association review and at the end it said to suggest Maron's books to those who enjoy Muller. So, since I am always looking for someone new to read, I had Higgy look for those on his trip to the used book store. He picked one at random for me.

I finished the book just as the plane was coming to the gate on my return home from SLC. It was a quick read; maybe 2.5 hours? Nothing fancy, but it was interesting to read about the family drama. The lives of the rich and not-famous. An idea of the people behind the multi-millionaire families - and I don't mean Paris Hilton style. Having the heroine realize that what is such a small amount of money to her is such a large amount of money to others. Not that she is a spoiled rich kid - she does stay within her budget, but with a budget like that it's hard to see how you don't.

It's a story of family intrigue. Heroine returns home to clean out her grandmother's house before it's sold and starts to dig into the death of her mother, all while dealing with a spoiled half-sister who unexpectedly shows up and the fear that her husband is cheating on her while she's away. Some parts were predictable while others weren't. It was a fun read.

I doubt I'll keep it, but I will continue to pick up more Moran books at the used book store. They would need to improve greatly before I'd pay full price.

No comments: