Monday, July 30, 2007

Selected Stories - Henry James

After Reading Lolita in Tehran, I did it. I actually picked up Henry James's selected stories. Ok - I only made it through Daisy Miller and then a small portion of Washington Square, but at least I picked up the book. I really don't know what all the fuss was about - maybe I need the literature class discussion about the meanings behind things? Maybe, I missed the subtle nuances? It just seemed like a straight forward story, and of course the girl who broke with convention died. It didn't stick with me the way that short stories by Shirley Jackson or Franz Kafka have stayed with me. It seemed overly simplistic - but I guess you can't have the same character development in a short story that you have in a longer one.

I'm glad I read it, and I'm sure I'll read more. But I won't be reading it cover to cover - I'll just pick and choose.

No comments: