Monday, October 01, 2007

Brenda Novak series (3 books)

I bought this series to support both a local bookstore and a local author, I knew nothing about them at the time. There's a book signing at Book Lovers in October - but I doubt I'll be there.

The Stillwater series is set up like a fantasy or sci-fi series. After resolving the issues of the current book, Novak makes sure to set up the interest for the next book in the series. The entire series (Dead Silence, Dead Giveaway, and Dead Right) centers around keeping a deadly family secret. Most of the series you know what the secret is - it's just a matter of what will make it out in the open and which family member's perspective will be the focus. The interesting thing is thinking about whether it is better for it to stay a secret or not. Each book also touches on the idea of whether they are keeping the secret to help themselves or to help someone else. Are they avoiding their own suffering or shielding someone else from it?

Anyway, they are a quick read - and the author is local - probably lives within 15 mins of me. I'll be passing these on for others to read. I doubt I would re-read them.

1 comment:

BookLovers said...

Thanks Lisa for the extra love for your favorite Independent Book Store. You are a true supporter of the small guy competing with Corporate America.