Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Art of Detection - Laurie R. King

King wrote one of my favorite books - Folly. I've enjoyed all of her books, some more than others. The Art of Detection is a mystery story inside a mystery story. Unfortunately, while it is an enjoyable read (and one I could see reading again), it was not the fast paced, can't put it down read I was in the mood for.

As a long awaited return to the Martinelli detective series, I enjoyed the update to the character's life. The mystery was a nice twist - and with the Holmes expert dead, this ties the series back to King's other series about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. The pacing of this novel was reminiscent of the Russell/Holmes books as well - slower starting, more background, more set up - less action.

It'll join the rest of her books on the shelf.

No comments: