Monday, June 12, 2006

Darkness / Scepters - L.E. Modesitt, Jr

Continuing in the Corean series, I just completed Darkness and Scepters. Nice enjoyable fantasy - nothing spectacular. I like the writing style, and unlike much of what I have read recently, it has had more to think about. These aren't as interesting as his other series, but I do like the new recurring themes: yes, it is unfair, but those who are the best at a job need to do it anyway; think in the long term for the world, not just the short term of what's best for you; don't let big business rule, or have a large influence on the government.

There are also the standard fantasy points - reluctant hero who accomplishes the impossible over and over again, evil race coming to conquer the world, creatures with magic (called Talent) dying out, and land barren of life. Then, of course, unscrupulous merchants, power hungry leaders, and only one leader worth following. But it is enjoyable.

Since I like his style, I'll keep the Corean Chronicles in the library - the 2nd and 3rd were better than the first - a trend I hope will continue.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow, I'm behind in your reading! I'll have to keep an eye out for this series at the used books store.