Friday, June 02, 2006

On Basilisk Station - David Weber

On the advice of Higgy, I have started the series of Honor Harrington. The first book in the series was a very enjoyable read - more an action book set in space than the science fiction I normally choose. I tend to read science fiction and fantasy for the politics, cultural set up and what the society in the book implies about US society. In this case, the only commentary seemed to be related to expansion - and how the politics of the Manticorian empire haven't kept the aboriginal society safe from exploitation - and at the same time haven't kept the border secure. But, looking at it from an action standpoint - I did enjoy it.

In some ways Honor struck me as a female version of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt. Both get into bad situations and find ways out. However, with On Basilisk Station, I did find myself rapidly turning the pages and waiting to see how it played out. I will admit, I knew what was coming; but I often find the way authors get to the expected end point enjoyable, even when I know what is coming.

Considering that some series pick up in quality after the first couple and others slowly decline with each book, I can't make any statements on the series yet. However, I do plan to continue with the next book - after I finish that Dean Koontz!

No comments: