Sunday, May 06, 2007

Arc of Justice - Kevin Boyle

Having grown up in the latter part of the 20th century, I have always found it hard to believe what was acceptable behaviour in the early part of the 1900s. This book reminded me how much I don't know about the time leading up to the civil rights movement in the 1960s. It is always amazing to me what man can do to fellow man, especially when they are hidden in a mob of people. The book covers the case of a black/colored/African-American doctor who moves to a neighborhood of white/Caucasian near Detroit. When someone in his house shoots out into the mob about to storm his house, all 11 of the people in the house are arrested on conspiracy to commit murder and murder.

Boyle does a good job of introducing each character (although sometimes it is bit too lengthy), giving their background and presumed motivation. This does break up the flow of the main story and I found myself putting the book down in the midst of some character background and not feeling the urge to pick it up again. However, once the NAACP gets involved, the pace really picks up; the back stories are more succinct and don't interfere with the flow as much.

A very interesting book and one I think I'll be passing on and then possibly giving to the library. This is a book that deserves to be read.

No comments: