Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Bend in the River - V.S. Naipaul

Have you ever felt like you were sleep-walking through your life? Just letting events happen to you, rather than proactively working toward a goal of some kind? This is one of those books that makes you think about your life - are you missing the big trouble on the horizon, is your mind so down in the day to day details that life is happening around you?

This is the story of a shopkeeper in an African nation as it transitions from colonial to native rule. It highlights the changes in the culture, how the government programs affect day to day living, and shows how people cope in those situations. When I read/hear news stories about war torn someplace or riots in someplace, I always wondered how do people do it. This gave me a little glimpse of how it is done.

I am not sure if I will keep the book, but it did make me think - even weeks after I finished it. I will definitely be passing it on.

Update 5/30: Passed it on, not planning to keep it.

No comments: