Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Margarets - Sheri S. Tepper

I love Sheri Tepper. I love the cadence and language of her books. I love the feminist, environmentalist, anti-religion messages contained in her books. So often I find myself reading a segment and just nodding to myself. Realizing I she had put into words what I had often thought. Or realizing that a paragraph had perfectly summarized one of the things that bothered me about some topic or behavior. Most of the time, it's something that I hadn't even thought until I was reading. So it was with pleasure that I saw a new Tepper book for the first time since The Companions in 2004. Surprisingly, I was looking for something to read while I went to dinner by myself and I realized the book had come out 2 days before.

Off I headed to the bookstore - yes, I buy her books in hard cover. I was quickly drawn into the story of Margaret. her lives and how they split. Most of Tepper's books take a feminist, anti-religion stance. Others focus more on environmental issues. This one combines all three. There are the usual array of intergalactic races - each with varying degrees of ethical behavior and restrictive religions. But this one comments the most on the human race and how we destroy the very planet we rely on. This destruction is placed at the feet of religion and a lack of memory of previous generations; an inability to remember the effects the actions had on previous generations.

I loved this book and I look forward to reading it again. I have already made room on the book shelf and passed it on to Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope I can borrow it when mom is done, or before mom gets to it depending on where it ended up in her list of books